Thursday, February 16, 2012

Granite Obsessions

Welcome to my attempt at blogging.  It has been a year and the last one wasn't very successful so I am trying something really new to me.

In my blogs I am going to tell stories from the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia and maybe North Carolina, as well as, review some books that I am currently reading. My current obsession is Mount Airy Granite. 

Here is a photo taken on February 10, 2012 in Lansing, North Carolina.  Very soon my book about Mount Airy Granite will be out.  This is one of the little treasures that I have discovered since the final draft of my book was completed.

This darling little cottage is built from Mount Airy Granite and sits high on a hill just outside Lansing on Main Street.

This cute little cottage is located in West Jefferson, North Carolina.  An article that is in the vertical files in the library say that the stone was hauled in by train.  The stone is very heavy and was hauled by train to construction sites throughout the eastern United States. 

So you say, why obsess over Mount Airy Granite?  I love buildings, homes, monuments, etc. built with granite.  It is sturdy.  The stonemasons that carved from granite were artists in their own rights.  Every time I find something new I just want to say...."Wow!"  All over again.

Here is a typical carving of Mount Airy Granite found in Glendale Springs North Carolina at the Trinity Episcopal Church of the Frescoes.  Artist Ben Long painted the "Last Supper" in this church.  It is just off of the Blue Ridge Parkway at the Trading Post.  The church doors are open around the clock. 


1 comment: